Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Cool Blue Eyes in 92 Degree heat - Tom Ford, Christian Dior, Urban Decay, MAC , Siouxie & the Banshees & more.


Theme song for today's FOTD



Every once in awhile, I get some wild, girlish idea to do a full, complex eye-look in the Dog Days of summer, whilst recovering from a migraine so intense it woke me up at 5:42 am, and had me puking into the bedroom garbage can - helpfully held up to my face by my half-asleep husband.

I apologize for the visuals on that...

We're getting off to a great start, now aren't we?
Anyway, that was what i decided to do - because that's what kind of Hardcore Makeup Hellion that i am.




Hardcore Makeup Hellion



Whatever possessed me to do such an insane thing while my eyeballs are riddled with those lovely "migraine trackmarks" and it was so hot in my makeup-room that my foundation melted the moment i applied it is beyond me.
But, I had the day off and my perfume orders were all packed up and ready to go, i was too sick to leave the house and i was bored, that's what possessed me.  I cannot stand being sick and stuck in the house for very long.  Something has to happen.  Why not MAKEUP??

Why not, indeed.

Because it is so mind-reelingly hot, i did keep this look pretty much all about the eyes.
On my face i wore my Guerlain Parure de Lumiere foundation (Beige Clair 01 - the fairest shade; it was until recently only available in Europe and Asia, from what i read), dusted lightly with Trish McEvoy's Translucent loose powder.
On my cheeks i'm wearing RBR's blush in Delicata, for an ultra-natural flush.  Lastly, i swiped on MAC lipliner in Hip, and MAC Glaze lipstick in Hue.

Voila:





Aaaand, then there were the eyes.
I'm not sure if you've ever attempted to put on shimmery eyeshadow and cream eyeliner in 92 degree heat, but let me tell you it isn't easy.  One quickly becomes maddened by things like caking eyeliner and melting eyeshadow...

And what started off as just a fun foray into a silver, grey and blue Evening Eye Extravaganza (at 11:00 am on a Wednesday morning) ended up as a bit of a review on the Tom Ford Noir Absolute Eyeliner...

But let's start at the beginning, shall we?

I began with the Christian Dior eyeshadow palette in Gris Gris - which is a glittery, gleaming, glossy-looking grey/silver/black-glitter job wot i adore for evening looks:



                               
                                      5 Colour Couture Eyeshadow Palette - 034 Gris Gris 

To make it less monochromatic and create the cool, watery-blue and silver look here, I also added a good bit of Urban Decay's Aquarius shadow from the NYC palette under the lower-lashline and on the centre lid:


                             
                              Pardon the glare - i believe my camera had a migraine, too



For this look, i used all but the glittery-black centre colour on the lower-right of the Gris Gris palette - using the bright white as a highlight and the darkest grey along the upper-lashline.
The mid-toned grey was used in the crease with the silver blended above it right on the orbital bone.  I also used the silver under the eyes and on the centre-lid, blended in with the UD's Aquarius , layed on quite thickly along the lashline.
I have no idea if that's making any sense at all - i think i may have sustained some mild brain damage from the migraine...
But you can see it for yourself (because you can never have enough angles of the same EOTD):



Shexxxy Migraine Eyes


Considering the horrendous conditions in which i was working, i think this turned out rather well, really.  If i had time-lapse photography at my disposal, you could literally see the shadows and liner condensing on my face.
Perhaps i exaggerate for effect.  Slightly.
But lord, it was hot!

Which brings us to the issues i was having with the Tom Ford Noir Absolute eyeliner.
When i bought this stuff this winter, i had a brief and intense love-affair with it. But before Spring - like with most torrid and passionate affairs - i was throwing it across the room in a fit of pique and tearfully asking why it doesn't love me anymore?
More to the point, why, after only a couple glorious months, was the gorgeously deep, jewel-like inky blue-black creaminess drying out so unforgivably?  I kept it tightly lidded.  I treated it kindly.  There really is no excuse for the fact that i now have to dig off a layer of dry gunk to get to the workable stuff - thus reducing the pot from almost completely full to this:


                 
                Oh, Tom Ford - why is your oh-so-expensive eyeliner so maddeningly cakey?

Now, the colour is gorgeous. No argument there. And when it's in its prime, it glides on like a dream and stays put all the live-long day.  But working with it today, whilst sweating like a wee piglet in front of the mirror, i was tempted to chuck it out the window once and for all.

It caked, it flaked, it visibly dragged across my lid - and by the time i was taking the photos, inexplicably faded into the eyeshadow at the wings:





That's just far too much work for an eyeliner.  Especially a Tom Ford.
I found myself wistfully wishing for Le Metier de Beaute's liquid liner in Artemis, which i've read amazing things about at the Beauty Professor's lovely blog.   It would have been, i think, perfect for this look.  It's definitely on my To Buy list (which is about the size of the Oxford Dictionary at this point).

Aside from that little disappointment, i was overall pleased with how this came out - even though i looked and felt like Microwaved Death.  But, we must bear these little disappointments with aplomb, and soldier on!
Or whatever.

Products used for this look -

Eyes: 
Urban Decay Primer Potion
Chanel brow pencil in Blond Clair (decidedly too orange - but that's a post for another day)
Christian Dior 5 Colour Couture Eyeshadow Palette - 034 Gris Gris
Urban Decay eyeshadow Aquarius from the <3 NYC Palette
Victoria's Secret Voluptuous Volume Mascara in Black

Face:
Guerlain Parure de Lumiere foundation in Beige Clair 01
Rouge Bunny Rouge blush in Delicata
Trish McEvoy Translucent loose powder

Lips:
MAC lipliner in Hip n Happy
MAC Glaze lipstick in Hue

Thanks for reading, and if you enjoyed this post, please comment, like and  follow me on Bloglovin' and Google+!

xoxo
The Painted Lily

No comments:

Post a Comment