Saturday, August 10, 2013

Novocaine Beauty - How My Makeup Held Up at the Little Shop of Horrors

Today, my little Kumquats, was a dismal day indeed for me.  Once again, i had to steel myself for another installment in The Teeth Chronicles.  My teeth and i, you see, are at War.
For various and sundry reasons (including poor diet, years of seizure medication and a long and unfortunate stint of entirely Too Much Wine which is now thankfully over), my teeth are falling to pieces.  In some instances, quite literally.
However, thanks to being blessed with incredibly generous in-laws and a husband who is willing to go to bat for me in such matters, i am getting ALL THE THINGS done in one fell swoop.
I'll be paying it off until i'm 108, but if the rest of the women in my family are any indication, i may just make it to that age...

In any case, one cannot face a long and invasive trip to the dentist with a bare face.

So, despite waking up with a burgeoning migraine (which of course transformed into a full-blown Migraine with capital letters, bells, whistles and flashing lights once under the drills) and being in a Terrible Rush, I decided to test out a few products for their chops under extreme circumstances.
Such as, bright-ass lights shining in your face, drooling, novocaine, uncontrollable eye-watering, blood and possibly explosions.  I didn't have time for a Before Dentist photo with the finished result, but i did take an After (see how brave i am?  Or maybe it's the drugs...)

                                              Lopsided, half-numb-faced grin


There's most definitely a bit of wear going on here after an hour in the dentist's claws - but i think overall, things held up admirably.

What i used:

Face:
Chantecaille New Stick foundation in Cream buffed only into the red-bits - i.e., the eye-area, including above the brows, and around the nose and chin.  Because who are we kidding?  Any more than that and it's going to get wiped off during the torture dental procedure.

Laura Mercier Loose Translucent Powder

Cheeks:
Rouge Bunny Rouge blush in Delicata

Eyes:
Chanel Prelude quad - the lightest colour all over the lid, from lash-line to brow; the third darkest, taupe colour pressed into lash-line and buffed upwards into crease.

Le Metier de Beaute Amethyst in the "V" and along upper/lower lash-line.

Le Metier de Beaute Nylon Stocking under the browbone.

Chanel Stylo Yeaux Waterproof eyeliner in Ebene along upper lash-line only - because if you are putting eyeliner under your eyes prior to major work at the dentist, you've obviously never had major work done at the dentist before...

Rimmel ScandalEyes Mascara in Extreme Black 

Laura Mercier Brow Pencil in Fair Blonde

Lips:
Chanel Lipliner in Praline D'Or

Laura Mercier lipstick in 1960's Pink

As you can see, the eyes were the most long-wearing - although there was SO MUCH eye-watering and wiping going on that i did have to clean up a little bit in the outer-corners afterwards - and there was a bit of mascara-transfer under the lash-line as well.  But not NEARLY as bad as i suspected!  The eyeliner didn't budge. A moment in the bathroom to clean things up a bit and i was as good as new.




Pretty good, i must say.

My foundation didn't move much since there wasn't much to begin with.  The powder is long gone, however - and of course i applied the lipstick afterwards (on a half-numb face - try that sometime just for kicks) because obviously we don't wear lipstick to the dentist.  That's just rude.

My only complaint is how dismally the powder held up - because frankly, it was shine-fest before i even got to the dentist.  However, i'm currently between primers so that is definitely a factor.  A mattifying primer would have been ideal here, but, Er...it's a long story.
As in, during all the chaos of packing up the husband and myself for the move, i can't find it.  Er.
I did find my Le Metier de Beaute Precision Eye Liner, though!  So i'm bound to find my primer...someday.

Well, that was quick and painless - unlike my dentist appointment.  Although, truth be told, my dentist is kind of a Wizard with the pain-control, and it could have been oh, so much worse.  Plus, she had me laughing the whole time.

I think she might be the Tooth Fairy.

XO

PS - stay tuned for tomorrow's Basic Eye tutorial for my pal, Bri!


No comments:

Post a Comment